Wednesday 3 August 2011

Fakarava - Tuamotus



Wednesday, August 3. 16D03.715S - 145D37.1972. We left Kaeuhi on July 30 and motor/sailed in light winds to Fakarava a nearby atoll. The pass to enter the lagoon was very easy and we found a good anchorage near the village. I booked a dive trip for the next day with Tei Avu Nui dive shop and they were excellent. Daniel from Saba joined me for the dives and it was quite challenging but exhilerating. The first dive was at slack water and the visibility and health of the coral was outstanding. I couldn't believe how clear it was and the view almost bought tears to my eyes. In the afternoon we dived the incoming current and it was fast!!! There were loads of sharks but it was difficult to take photos in the whirlpools and eddies that were created by the rush of water into the pass while trying to hold on to dead coral with one hand. Today we have been working on the engine but later in the afternoon we will pop over to the village to browse the black pearl shops. The village is very quiet but this morning we managed to buy fresh bread and also vegetables from a lady who plucked her produce directly from the garden as we chatted. Tomorrow we set sail for Bora Bora and I am looking forward to finally visiting the place I have always dreamt about. I hope it meets up with my expectations but we have certainly been spoilt in the Tuamotus.

No comments:

Post a Comment