Sunday 28 August 2011

NEIAFU VILLAGE


NEIAFU VILLAGE
Position: 18D39'S 173D59'W
Sunday, August 28 - Yesterday we spent most of the day exploring the shops and services in Neiafu. It's a beautiful town but the services are pretty basic. I managed to buy a sandwich maker which made my day as we could now add more variation to our diet. The Tongan people that we met along the way were all very friendly and helpful to us. I went to the fruit and vegetable market and the variety of food was incredible. There were lots of stalls all with different local produce. I picked up nice pineapples, bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers, chillis and cabbages. Unfortunately the market closed at midday so a lot of the produce was already sold by the time I arrived. As Ian wasn't around I also accidently stumbled upon the crafts market and spent time browsing the carved bone necklaces and woven pandanus mats. Ian eventually found me and we went to pick up our hot bread order. Today is a day of rest in Tonga and nobody is allowed to work which I think is a great idea. However, our watermaker desperately needed repair so Ian spent most of the day down below replacing the pump. The beast worked well for about 10 minutes than developed another problem which he hasn't been able to fix. We are hoping that tomorrow will bring us some better luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment