Monday 21 March 2011

Diving in Dominica











Ian and I went diving today with a local dive operation next to the bay where we were anchored. The dive boat was actually a fishing boat and doing the backward roll was more like doing a backward free fall. Getting back on the boat also proved to be tricky with a steep climb up the ladder. Apart from that the trip was worth it for the experience and we saw some amazing corals. Unfortunately the dive sites were also in local fishing areas and we didn't see any fish of great size. We saw garden eels that weren't very shy, scorpion fish, blue shrimp and beautiful soft corals. The dive guide told me about a location under the cruise ship dock of all places where you can see Red Lipped Bat fish and Sea Horses. Of course I have booked a trip to try that dive tomorrow and let's hope that I get lucky for a change with the unusual critter spotting! When I got back to Faraway I also called up the 'whale watching' company to book a snorkelling experience with the Sperm Whales. They sadly informed me that special permission is now required at a cost of US$3,000. I think we will skip that trip and stick with the small stuff for now. Hopefully we will see some more whales from our own yacht when we start sailing offshore again.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics Sheryl, love the sand eels. What is that in the 3rd pic? I'm up to date with your adventures now, keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I see it now - its an amazing shrimp!

    ReplyDelete